Save Our Setters, Inc.
Our Miracle Dogs
This page was last updated on: September 13, 2013
Save Our Setters is proud to be the Irish Setter Rescue Organization selected to help these furkids with serious health issues.  Each story demonstrates the true Irish Spirit, as these deserving furkids refused to give up!  We are grateful for the opportunity to help them, as they gave us so much more than we could ever give them, and they will always have a special place in our hearts.

Click on a picture to learn more about our Miracle Dogs!!!!!
CAUTION:  Clicking here will take you to very Graphic Pictures.
Click here for UPDATES as well as a list of JASMINE's sponsors.
Her Grade 2 Fibrosarcoma was far too advanced when she came into our program for the veterinarians to save her.  She has stolen hearts all across the country!  Because her owners failed to get help for her in time, she will likely not make it to the end of the year, and certainly will not live to celebrate her sixth birthday.  Had she received the appropriate diagnostics and medical treatment in time, her life expectancy would likely have been extended many years, perhaps well into her teens.

JASMINE has gone to the bridge.  The integrity of the blood vessels in her jaw were compromised, and it became difficult to stop the bleeding.  The risk of her bleeding to death overnight was great, and we opted to allow her to leave in the company of loved ones, but not before she got to chase one last rabbit!  Her doctor, Susan Plaza, took her around to say goodbye to her many friends at CSU, and then helped her go to sleep.  We could not have hoped for an easier departure for her.
Now at Rainbow Bridge
Paralyzed due to a traumatic back injury, BEAUMONT was in dire straits.  The professionals at the University of Tennessee Knoxville Veterinary Teaching Hospital felt he had a chance at recovery through intensive physical therapy, and they were right!!

Several thousands of dollars and a couple of months later, BEAUMONT demonstrated his skill at counter-surfing.  He is doing well in his new home, and his new Mom (who works at the Veterinary Hospital and fell in love with him during his stay there) tells us that he is continuing to improve as the muscles regain strength.

BEAUMONT showed us the Irish determination to beat the odds, and we are grateful for the opportunity to have turned his sad story into a happy one!!
MAGGIE was turned into a shelter in Kansas because the owners were going out of town for the weekend, and were unable to find someone to care for her during their absence.  Yeah, right...

She was ill, and would improve somewhat, only to relapse.  When the vet ran x-rays, it was apparent that MAGGIE had two life-threatening issues:  pneumonia and a darning needle in her digestive tract!

The prognosis for a full recovery was very good, and surgery was scheduled as soon as MAGGIE had recovered from pneumonia enough to be able to withstand the operation.  The needle had penetrated the small intestines, and was slowly migrating towards the liver.

MAGGIE has a new forever
home in Connecticut with RHETT,
another Irish lad adopted from
Save Our Setters.  Her new
parents and Irish brother are
grateful to MAGGIE's many kind-
hearted sponsors who made her
miracle possible!!
MAGGIE is all set to begin the cross-country journey to her new forever home!!
SOS has earned the respect of other Irish Setter Rescues by regularly taking in the toughest and seemingly most hopeless cases, with amazing results!!  As much as we would like to continue saving the dogs who require thousands of dollars worth of veterinary care, we simply cannot do so without your help.  Please considering sponsoring one or more of our available dogs in any amount.  Every dollar helps us to provide for the needs of the furkids!!!  
McRIB spent the first five years of his life on a chain in Paragould AR.  He was neglected, as indicated by his severely emaciated condition, and suffered from Class III heartworm disease.  The prognosis was very poor, but without treatment, he would have died in a very short time, as he was coughing up heartworms and blood.

SOS decided to take on the challenge in spite of the high risk of failure.  The vets felt he wouldn't survive one week, with or without treatment.  Everything possible to boost up his body was done, and a minimal dose of immiticide was introduced on December 21st, 2006.

The following weeks were full of ups and downs, fluid accumulations, dehydration, and pneumonia.  Each challenge was met head-on, and McRib was finally feeling well.

On January 23, 2007, McRIB's body succumbed to the disease, and he has been laid to rest on the hill overlooking the pond.  Based on the number of responses we have received, we feel confident that caregivers who previously did not provide heartworm preventative will have a change of heart, and that McRIB will have made an impact that will help others avoid the same fate.  May the shamrocks fall softly on the sweet boy.  He died far too young, and will be sorely missed for a long time.
Now at Rainbow Bridge
MALLORY was picked up as a stray in the Shreveport LA area.  She was severely neglected, as indicated by her severely emaciated condition, and suffered from pneumonia.  The prognosis was very poor, as her blood was so thick that it would coagulate before reaching the bottom of the test tube.  The vet was instructed to do whatever it took to save this girl.

The next few days were touch and go, and she was teetering on the edge.  The IV fluids and the antibiotics kicked in, and we were making progress!  The foster mom did smuggle in some yummy chicken innards, which were quickly devoured - another good sign.

MALLORY has found her new forever home, and is enjoying running all day long with her brother.  There are so many things to chase, and not enough hours in the day.

Regarding the diagnosis of DIC (more commonly referred to as Dead In Cage and Death Is Coming), MALLORY says phooey!  She sure taught those vets a thing or two about the Irish Spirit!!!
MALLORY greets her new Mom and Dad!
Dr. Craig in GA called SOS for rescue assistance with CLOUD, and we were only too glad to help.  CLOUD apparently did not receive medical attention until about a week following his being hit by a car.  He had subluxation of the T5/T6 vertebrae and an irreparable fracture of the T6 wasn't discovered until surgery was being performed.  The surgeon inserted a dorsal plate and transverse rods, pins, and wires.  The intent was to provide stability to prevent further injury, as there was considerable doubt that he would ever have sufficient nerve regeneration to control his bladder and bowels, much less to walk again.

Post-operative complications can arise which often lead to death, and did they ever arise!  In addition to a severe urinary tract infection, CLOUD battled both pneumonia and Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever. Bloodwork revealed a high level of calcium along with elevated BUN and creatinine, indicating that he was in kidney failure.  Chances of survival dipped to between 5% and 10%.  Through it all, CLOUD never gave up, and we didn't either!  The decision was made to take him to the Vet Teaching Hospital in Knoxville.  Of course, that particular day proved to be even more stressful than expected, as TN had a rare snowstorm that accompanied us most of the way there and back!  The trip was worth it, though, as the calcium was brought under control, and his chances of survival increased.  Miraculously, there was very little calcification of his organs, and his kidney function started to come back!!!  His senior vet student gave a lecture on CLOUD's case entitled "CLOUD: Dead Dog Walking", as it was truly a tribute to CLOUD's spirit that he was able to overcome each and every obstacle that cropped up.

Back in Memphis, his bloodwork continued to look good, and the physical therapy proved that skeptical dog-ters can be wrong!  CLOUD now has full control of his bladder and bowels, and is well on his way to regaining full motor control and the ability to walk!  Oh, and his new nickname is "The CLOUD that COULD"!!!!
In three years' time, MAVERICK had several "homes", and produced an unknown number of litters of puppies in and around Missouri.

When we first met MAVERICK, he was bubbly and energetic.  We had no clue that something was dreadfully wrong, and that his life would end very soon. You see, Chronic Renal Failure doesn't show up on bloodwork until around 75% of the kidney function has been lost.

MAVERICK was a trooper throughout, and clung to me when I came to visit him in the hospital. He even tried to follow me when I got him some fresh water, but the IV lines held him back.

Upon necropsy, it was determined that MAVERICK had suffered from loss of over 50% of his kidney function for a very long time due to the congenital defect, and the resulting calcification of his other organs was significant.  It could have just as easily been his heart that failed.

May the shamrocks fall softly on the sweet boy.  He died far too young, and is sorely missed.
Now at Rainbow Bridge
Dumped in the back yard of a vacant house in northwest Arkansas, BONY TONY had apparently gone without food for quite some time. Additionally, he was oozing pus from untreated infections that covered a third of his body.  He regularly stuck to the floor or to the bedding, and trips outside meant a thorough cleaning to remove the leaves, grass, and whatever else stuck to him while on his outing.  In spite of everything we had to do to help clear the infections, he never complained (though he would try to escape at the first opportunity!).

He was afraid of raised voices, and would dive into the nearest crate for safety.  He was also afraid of the word "come", and would tuck his tail.  We knew that he wasn't treated well by his former owners, and that he probably got a beating when he did come.  TONY learned that not only did he have nothing to fear when obeying that command, but that good things awaited him when he did obey.  He especially liked lots of petting including belly rubs, which were a challenge because of all the oozing.

Adding to his medical issues was the diagnosis of CKS, which meant he would need drops in his eyes twice a day for the rest of his life.  Were he to not get these drops, he would eventually go blind.

All-in-all, TONY's medications ran about $75 a week on average.  Fortunately, his story had gotten the attention of a local editor who not only published his story, but also published an editorial suggesting that the owners should have the book thrown at them.  We can only hope that, at some point, the scumbags who did this to TONY will pay for their actions.  We have no doubt that they will suffer the consequences of their actions in the afterlife.

We can't think of any punishment that would be too harsh for the negligent and abusive former owners of BONY TONY MALONEY!